NHS: Senior Internship Program
Company Database :These are companies that have hosted in the past but have not necessarily expressed interest this year.
2022 Current Opportunity List: These are companies or teachers who have expressed interest in hosting an intern this year. If you hope to intern with a Norwell teacher in a different building, these are the only staff members you should contact.Internship Administrator: Mr. Matthew Marani
Are you a company interested in hosting a 2022 NHS Intern?
- We are open to all industries, but this is not a matching program. Students will make contact to pursue the interest.
- You must be able to provide 30 hours per week. Students who take advanced placement courses must return to school for those courses. We subtract five hours per week for each AP course in which the student is enrolled. Students will create a schedule with you for the entire length of the program so you know when to expect them daily/weekly.
- Student interns begin working on 4/11/2022 and end work on 5/27/2022.
- The specific schedule is determined by the host company. Weekends and nights are available as determined by the host company.
- You will be referred to as the "company supervisor" and you must contact (email) the "teacher sponsor" once per week as part of the ongoing monitoring process.
- Students cannot be paid
- Students may not work from home, so a company must provide a designated location for the student to work.
- Students will initiate contact to set up a time to discuss the opportunity. They will bring their NHS Internship application to complete with you and be submitted by them to the Norwell High School administrative office by our application deadline of March 2nd at 5:00pm.
If you are interested in hosting an NHS intern at your place of business, please complete the following google form.
Application:You must complete both parts of the application before the deadline to be eligible to participate in our internship program.Part II: Complete Online After Part I is Complete (Use Part I: You must be signed into your Norwell Schools email account to complete Part II)
Live Links as of 4/9/2021Commonly asked Q & A:
- When is the 2-Part Application due? 3/2/2022 by 5:00pm
- What weeks do the Internship program run? Starts 4/11/2022 and Ends 5/27/2022
- How many hours am I required to work? 30 Hours per week
- How many hours must I work per day? Its up to you and your company as long you work 30 hours per week.
- What about if I take AP Courses? Subtract five hours per week for each AP course you take.
- Do I have to attend class after my AP exam? Yes unless you have had the increase in internship hours as part of the original application.
- What do I do when school has a half day? You work the agreed upon hours per week and schedule regardless of half days.
- Do I have to work over the April vacation? No, interns only work during the weeks that you are required to be in school.
- Can I work over the April vacation and end a week early? No, you cannot end a week early.
- Do I reduce my hours during a week that includes a holiday? No, because you create your own schedule with each job supervisor, you must continue to work the agreed upon hours, satisfying the 30 hours per week responsibility.
- Can I miss internship hours to go on a senior trip with my friends or family? No, you must complete 30 hours per week, every week, except April vacation.
- Can I be paid for working on my internship? No, you cannot be paid for any of the 30 hours per week.
- Can I work for my parents' company? You cannot report directly to your parents as the Company Supervisor.
- Can I work for my parents' company based out of our house? No, you cannot work out of your house.
- Do I have to do a presentation? Yes, all students must record a presentation based on the internship scoring rubric and share with their teacher sponsor by March 27th.
- What do I do after my presentation? You must finish that week of work and journal entries.
- Can I work at the same company with multiple peers? When three or more students apply to work for the same company, those applications are declined. Those students can appeal that decision, according to the timeline, explaining how the company can effectively manage that volume of students in a productive and learning manner.
- What about my friend working with me at a Norwell school? Though multiple students will be approved to work in a school building, no more than one student will be permitted to be a single classroom teacher.
- Do I have to complete a journal? Yes, you must complete a digital journal entry for each day you work.
- Can I complete my journal with a partner? No, each student submits their own individual journal regardless of internship.
- How much do I write in my daily journal? Each day you must answer all the questions and write one entry consisting of no less than ten sentences.
- Where is the digital journal located? The digital form will be located above and on the high school homepage.
- How do I record my hours worked? You will record your hours as part of your journal digital submission.
- Do I have to write goals for my internship? Yes, you need a minimum of two goals listed on your application. This will be a question during your presentation.
- What happens if I do not complete my hours, journal, or presentation? You will not be eligible for graduation until you have completed all three components.